Thursday, December 30, 2010

Memoirs of Stephen Grabin (1896-1973)

This is a handwritten memoir by Stephen Grabin (1896-1973). Stephen was born 26 May 1896 in Eynon, PA and married Anna MATALA about 1919. A copy of the original was given to Diane by one of her cousins.

Started to work in 1908 at Raymond Breaker, in 1910 at Slope Mines opening doors, in 1912 driving mules in Riverside mines, running cars to 1914.Got job as labor loading coal in Heading for John Chickhock, Eynon man. 6 months later I got miners certificate so I went mining. Second moner. We had 2 shifts, 3 men each. One day about 1 am going to chamber Mr George Dando. William Roadway was about to enter the cage to take us down to for foot opening they said 2 men was killed in air way next to our heading rope broke 2 loaded cars ran down the slope we were driving turned in to the airway switch and this the last day for me in the mines.
I left for Kansas City Missouri.
I landed in automobile training school Sweeney's School.
Returned to Eynon in 1916, Mr Bill lynott took on Olyphant ?? ford agency. He asked me if I would work for him. I took the job servinceing cars for them and he had the Blue Bird was king machine. I serviced good many in Olyphant Residence Homes.
In 1917 war broke out. I went with the Batch of Selective Service men I landed in Agusta Georgia, joined up with Co A 103 Engineers Regiment 1928 Division. In May 1918 shipped over seas.
Landed in England, crossed English Channel to France to defend Marnes were holding the chattatorry* seet at Marnes River in France. We had actual warfare ended up in Metz Nov 1918. Shipped home in May 1919.
Went to work for Lynott Motors
In 1919 June I went to ford motor company detroit for 6 month worked all through the plant came home worked for lynott end of dec 1921
I received oldsmobile franchise dealership in 1922 for eynon. and in 1937 through 1939 in Peckville main st
in 1945 I got dealership for River St Olyphant then transferred to Main St 301  + Lincoln St Blakely where it is at this time still selling oldsmobiles.
in 1955 I purchased old mine rock ground was used as a rising slope to underground to bring coal out.
we cleared the rock dump made a corner lot for our used cars + parking. In 1959 put up steel building for our new cars to store + repair shop.
6th day 1961 Dec received progress award proudly presented to GRABIN'S OLDSMOBILE PECKVILLE PA by the SCRANTON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE for contributing to the attractiveness and general appearance this award recognizes the faith the recipient has shown in our community presented this 6th day of december 1961, president R L Justin, Secretary S F Kozmerski, Chairman Neil Trama


*This is Chateu-Thierry on the Marne River in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment